The British, Canadian, and U.S. Embassies to Luxembourg invite female high school students, aged 16 to 19, in Luxembourg to enter a competition to be a Diplomat for a Day on March 11.
Diplomat for a Day activities
If you win the competition, you will be invited to spend a day with the embassies in Luxembourg, shadowing senior leaders and learning about the work of a diplomat. You will also be able to take part in activities and discussions on the importance of gender equality.
Why you should enter this competition
Women and girls represent half of the world’s population and therefore also half of its potential. Today there are too few women in international diplomacy, including women from under-represented backgrounds, whether ethnic, religious, economic, cultural, or personal identity, among others. Women are not represented at parity in political and business sectors.
To end this underrepresentation, we must ensure equality of opportunity and equitable outcomes for everyone.
This is why we, Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States, are working towards gender equality around the world. The Diplomat for a Day competition is a joint initiative by the 3 Embassies that aims to encourage young women and girls to become leaders and advocates for change.
Who can enter
You can enter this competition if, when you apply, you:
- Identify as a girl or woman
- Are enrolled in a Luxembourg high school
- Are between the ages of 16 and 19 or turn 16 in 2024
- Are proficient in English
You must have your parent or legal guardian’s consent to apply. No fees are required to enter this competition.
How to enter
To enter, you must answer one of the following questions:
- What positive change would you like to see in your community and in the world regarding women’s rights and equality, and how can you contribute to making that change happen?
- In recent times, world peace has been increasingly threatened by armed conflicts. Please discuss how women are essential in establishing and maintaining lasting peace in our world today. Share your ideas on how you, as a young woman, can contribute to fostering peace within your own community.
Record or write your answer in English and either:
- If you choose to submit a video, please send it as a WeTransfer link. This should be a maximum of 2 minutes, filmed in landscape mode. Please name the video in the format: ‘Last Name First Name – Diplomat for a Day 2024 Entry’, or
- Email your essay to DiplomatForADayLuxembourg@gmail.com. This should be a maximum of 500 words.
You must also fill in the Diplomat for a Day 2024 application form and send it to DiplomatForADayLuxembourg@gmail.com. Please be sure to read the Diplomat For A Day 2024 Terms and Conditions (PDF, 69 KB) before you enter.
Your video or essay must be in English, as communication during Diplomat For a Day will be entirely in English.
Make sure you enter the competition in time:
- Competition opens: 11 January 2024
- Deadline for applications: 11 February 2024 at 23:59 CET
- Competition winners contacted: 23 February 2024
- Diplomat for Day activities: 11 March 2024
Apply for the competition by sending your completed Diplomat For A Day 2024 application form and your video or essay by 11 February 2024.
Would you help us improve our website
Note: This feature is strictly for feedback about your experience using the website.
All other questions and feedback will be disregarded. Thank you for your understanding.
You are visiting a website that just underwent a redesign. Please take a few moments to provide us with your valuable feedback.
Thank you for sharing your feedback!