Event: Secretary of State Mike Pompeo gave remarks to the press on March 31, 2020 urging Americans abroad to return to the United States. Currently the U.S. Embassy in Luxembourg is aware of available direct flights to the U.S. from Paris, Frankfurt, and Amsterdam. Transit by car or rail from Luxembourg through Germany, France, Belgium, and the Netherlands is permitted with proof of a flight returning to the U.S. These flights are subject to change or suspension without notice, however, and their future availability cannot be guaranteed.
If you are considering returning to the United States, you are urged to work with your airline to make travel arrangements while flights are still available. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline – the U.S. Embassy cannot make individual flight arrangements on your behalf.
As previously indicated, the Embassy strongly urges those who wish to return to the United States to explore commercial flight options now, as there is no guarantee that the U.S. government will be able to arrange evacuation flights if airspace closes. Also, evacuation flights are not free-of-charge, and are, in fact, frequently more expensive than currently available commercial travel.
Please share this message with other U.S. citizens currently in Luxembourg.
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive health and security updates.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice advising travelers to avoid non-essential travel.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on the COVID-19 outbreak.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Luxembourg.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Luxembourg
22 Boulevard Emmanuel Servais
L-2535 Luxembourg City
+352 621 547 133
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Luxembourg Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook