Location: Luxembourg, Luxembourg
Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 160,000 reported cases worldwide.
On March 16, 2020, the Luxembourg Ministry of Health announced 81 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Luxembourg.
CDC has issued a worldwide Level 3 Travel Notice.
The U.S. Mission to Luxembourg has adjusted its operations as of 13 March 2020 in response to the two-week closure of all local schools, the Government of Luxembourg’s call to prioritize telework where possible, and an interest to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. The embassy will begin instituting its own social distancing program on March 16, 2020 until further notice. Reduced levels of staff will perform necessary diplomatic functions. Services to U.S. citizens will continue uninterrupted, including regular passport renewal and Consular Report of Birth Abroad appointments.
On March 15, 2020, the Government of Luxembourg issued a series of additional measures in an effort to limit the spread of COVID-19 after the first coronavirus-related death in the country. PM Bettel announced restricted movement, excepting citizens going to work, to visit medical facilities, grocery shopping, helping others, and going into nature. All public places closed at midnight, including restaurants, bars, clubs, libraries, museums, and all shops, except grocery stores, pharmacies, telecoms outlets, gas stations, and newsstands. Services such as trash collection, electricity, and water services will still be in operation. Visit the local government COVID-19 website for updated information.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Luxembourg.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Luxembourg
+352 621 547 133
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Luxembourg Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook