Mail-in adult passport book renewal applications now accepted!
The U.S. Embassy in Luxembourg now accepts mail-in adult passport book renewal applications with online fee payment!
To renew your passport book by mail, you must answer YES to all of the following:
- I can submit my most recent U.S. passport book by mail with my renewal application.
- I was at least 16 years old when my most recent U.S. passport book was issued.
- I was issued my most recent U.S. passport book less than 15 years ago.
- My most recent U.S. passport book has a validity of 10 years from issuance to expiration.
- The U.S. passport book that I am renewing has not been mutilated, damaged, lost or stolen.
- My most recent U.S. passport book was issued in my current name (or I can document my name change by submitting marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order with my passport application.)
- I currently reside in and/or have a valid mailing address in Luxembourg. (*See below if you are not a resident of Luxembourg.)
- I am only applying for a passport book (**I am not applying for a passport card).
If you do not meet these criteria, please make an appointment at the Embassy.
*If you reside in a neighboring country, please visit our colleagues’ websites to use their mail-in option.
- Residents of Germany: https://de.usembassy.gov/renew-by-mail/
- Residents of Belgium: https://be.usembassy.gov/renew-passport-by-mail/
- Residents of France: https://fr.usembassy.gov/passports/renew-10-year-adult-passport/
- Residents of the Netherlands: https://nl.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/mailin-procedure/
**If you wish to renew or apply for a passport card, you must make an appointment to apply in person at the Embassy or Consulate nearest you.
If you do meet the eligibility requirements above, please submit the following documents by mail:
□ Current or expired passport (original + 1 photocopy)
□ A completed form DS-82 (Remember: SIGN and DATE and print single-sided)
□ One passport photo on a white background without eyeglasses (2”x2”)
□ Passport fee payment confirmation:
- Pay the $130 passport application fee via the U.S. government’s secure payment site. After successfully paying the fee, you must print out the electronic payment confirmation you receive via email and include it in the package you submit.
□ Two envelopes (1 for sending in the application + 1 self-addressed with postage paid for the consular section to return your new and old passports)
- Note: A popular option is the prepaid padded envelope from Post Luxembourg, size 162x229mm. This envelope is sufficient for one to four passports. If you use a different envelope, please make sure to add enough postage (a passport weighs more than 50g).
- You may choose to attach a tracking label (FollowMe), which can be purchased online at www.eservices.lu or at a local post office.
- Make sure to write your complete name and address on the return envelope. The address MUST be in Luxembourg.
□ If applicable: Name change documents (original + 1 photocopy)
- If you would like to change the name on your new passport due to marriage, divorce or court order, please include proof of your name change. Documents must be original with English translation if applicable (ex. Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree, Court Order).
- Incomplete applications cannot be processed and will be returned to sender.
- Include upcoming travel plans on the second page of the DS-82 application form, this is critical if travel is within the next month.
Where to Mail Your Passport Application
Once you have gathered the above materials, mail your application package to the U.S. Embassy Luxembourg. Please ensure “Consular Section-Passport Services” is included in the address:
U.S. Embassy Luxembourg
Consular Section – Passport Services
22, Boulevard Emmanuel Servais