U.S. Ambassador to Luxembourg J. Randolph Evans hosted U.S. Ambassadors from across Europe for a Chiefs of Missions September Summit here in the Grand Duchy on September 22-24, 2020.
Ambassador Evans stated:
“It was a momentous week with American Ambassadors from across Europe all here in Luxembourg. These leaders have made great advances in U.S.-European relations and bringing them together in Luxembourg is a continuing sign of the importance of this country in the U.S. and Europe. Our group of Ambassadors participated in various strategic discussions including meetings and conversations with leaders from the Government of Luxembourg and the European Court of Justice.”
Prime Minister Xavier Bettel hosted the group Wednesday morning. The group then visited the American Battle Monuments Commission Luxembourg American Cemetery where they paid their respects to the great men and one woman that rest there.
The Ambassadors then met at the European Court of Justice (ECJ), where they visited with President Koen Lenaerts, the President of the ECJ.
Luxembourg Deputy Prime Minister François Bausch, Minister of Finance Pierre Gramegna, and Minister of the Economy Franz Fayot hosted a discussion at Bourglinster for the Ambassadors, highlighting the strong bonds between the United States and Luxembourg as leaders in finance, space, and trade.
In addition, Luxembourg’s President of the Chamber of Deputies (the Luxembourg Parliament), Fernand Etgen, hosted Former U.S. Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, Ambassador Callista Gingrich, and Ambassador Evans at the Luxembourg Parliament.
The Chiefs of Mission who attended the September Summit were:
- Ambassador J. Randolph Evans, U.S. Ambassador to the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg
- Ambassador Kay Bailey Hutchinson, U.S. Ambassador and Permanent Representative of the United States to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization
- Ambassador George E. Glass, U.S. Ambassador to Portugal
- Ambassador Stephen B. King, U.S. Ambassador to the Czech Republic
- Ambassador Carla Sands, U.S. Ambassador to the Kingdom of Denmark
- Ambassador Jamie D. McCourt, U.S. Ambassador to the French Republic and Principality of Monaco
- Ambassador Callista Gingrich, U.S. Ambassador to the Holy See
- Ambassador W. Robert Kohorst, U.S. Ambassador to Croatia
- Ambassador Peter Hoekstra, U.S. Ambassador to the Netherlands
- Ambassador Duke Buchan, III, U.S. Ambassador to Spain and Andorra
- Ambassador Ronald Gidwitz, U.S. Ambassador to Belgium, Acting Representative of the United States to the European Union
- Ambassador Georgette Mosbacher, U.S. Ambassador to Poland
- Ambassador Jeffrey Ross Gunter, U.S. Ambassador to Iceland
- Ambassador Lynda C. Blanchard, U.S. Ambassador to Slovenia
- Ambassador Kenneth A. Howery, U.S. Ambassador to the Kingdom of Sweden
- Ambassador Adrian Zuckerman, U.S. Ambassador to Romania
Other U.S. officials in attendance were:
- Department of State Under Secretary for Economic Growth, Energy, and the Environment Keith J. Krach
- Counselor of the United States Department of State, Ulrich Brechbuhl
- President and Chairman of the Export-Import Bank of the United States, Kimberly Reed
- Acting Associate Administrator for International and Interagency Relations at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Mike Gold
- Director of the Office of Space Commerce at the U.S. Department of Commerce, Kevin O’Connell
For a compilation of photos from this week’s events, please see the U.S. Embassy Luxembourg Flickr page.
For more information please contact the Public Affairs section at the U.S. Embassy in Luxembourg at +352 46 01 23 ext. 24 or ext. 21 or at LuxembourgPublicAffairs@state.gov