As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad to the U.S. Consulate to establish an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record will be the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Form FS-240 which is a basic United States citizenship document.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

A Consular Report of Birth (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and we recommend that the parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth. For applicants older than age 18 who have never been issued a CRBA, please refer to Possible Derivative Claim to U.S. Citizenship. Anyone who has a claim to U.S. citizenship must be in possession of a valid U.S passport to enter and exit the United States, even if they have citizenship of another country, as well.

BY APPOINTMENT ONLY: Please schedule an appointment by sending a message to Please email us the completed forms. CRBA applications require considerable preparation and documentation, so please carefully review the following instructions.

Third party attendance at Passport and CRBA appointment interviews (click here)

Please come prepared and have all forms completed!

List of requirements for minors to receive a passport and Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

  • Your child and both parents
  • Completed “Application for a Consular Report of Birth” (Form DS-2029 [pdf/103kb]) – Do Not Sign!
  • For Passport issuance please see: Application for Passports for Applicants under age 16
  • Child’s local birth certificate Provide birth certificate with official seal and signature. 
  • For children under age 12 the Social Security Number must be applied for directly with the appropriate Federal Benefits Unit in Dublin, Ireland (
  • Completed Form SS-5 (pdf/57kb) “Application for a Social Security Card” – signed by the U.S. citizen parent
  • Parents’ U.S./Alien passports
  • Parents’ marriage certificate (Civil records)
  • Proof of termination of any previous marriages (Death or divorce certificates)
  • If applicable, an affidavit of paternity
  • One photo, see photo instructionsPlease use photos only from a photographer.
  • If only one parent is a U.S. citizen, that parent’s proof of 5 years physical presence in the U.S., two of which were after the age of 14 (employment records, school transcripts, tax returns, etc.) prior to the child’s birth is needed.
  • Any previous Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued to other children in the family to expedite processing
  • The fee of $ 215 (in cash or credit card) for the CRBA and the passport
  • Issuing time approximately 10 working days. Please remember to bring all required documentation and completed forms with you to your appointment.  If you do not bring all of the required forms and supporting documentation, you may have to make a new appointment and there will be a delay in processing your case.

    Child Citizenship Act

    The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows certain foreign-born, biological and adopted children of U.S. citizens to acquire U.S. citizenship automatically. These children did not acquire U.S. citizenship at birth, but they are granted citizenship when they enter the United States as lawful permanent residents (LPRs).

    Click here for more details on the Child Citizenship Act.