Notarial Services

The Consular Section provides notarial services to U.S. citizens for use in the U.S. or abroad, or to aliens for use in the U.S.

Appointments are scheduled to ensure COVID-19 social distancing measures are in place. If your document requires more than five legalizations, please schedule two appointments.

Examples of notarial/authentication acts

  • Acknowledgements (on documents such as deeds, mortgages, contracts for sale of land, and powers of attorney)
    Requirements: the individual has to appear in person and prove his identity.
  • Affidavit of ability to enter into marriage or civil partnership in Luxembourg. Please note that Affidavits are not public records, but statements signed under oath, without any verification of the content..
  • Authentications (Legalizations)
    * The Embassy cannot provide an “apostille” to official government documents issued in the United States or in other countries, i.e. U.S. birth certificates, divorce decrees, marriage certificates, etc. The apostille must be affixed at the government agency in the country which issued the original document. More information about the Apostille and the Hague Convention on legalization of foreign public documents (PDF 4 MB)

If you have doubts that a specific notarial service can be performed, please contact the Consular Section at

For us to notarize your documents, you must:

  • Bring all the pages of the document – not only the page to be signed
  • If the document requires more than five legalizations, please book two appointments
  • Understand your document, as we are not allowed to explain the contents to you
  • Have filled in the document with the appropriate names, places and dates
  • Have a government-issued photo ID, e.g. a passport
  • Don’t sign it; you’ll sign it at the Embassy or Consulate in front of the notary

If the notarial deed requires a witness to sign next to the notary, please bring witnesses with you and indicate their names as you book your appointment. Consular Section staff may NOT be witnesses for notarial purposes, though some documents authorize the Consul to act both as witness and notary. Please read the document to be signed under oath before you come to the Consular Section.


USD 50 or the equivalent amount in EUR for each consular seal/signature. Payment must be in cash or credit card but no V-pay.

Criminal Records

The Embassy does not provide background check services. Please do not schedule an appointment for this.
Information on applying for a criminal background check is available from the Federal Bureau of Investigation website Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) in order to obtain an Identity History Summary Check (FBI Report). Alternatively you can contact the state/local police department where you reside or last resided in the United States to request that they conduct a criminal records search and provide you with a document reflecting that there is no history of a criminal record.

Driver’s License

Please be advised that the U.S. Embassy is not allowed to provide any type of certification regarding U.S. issued driver’s license as these documents are state issued and any certification required must come from the relevant state. If required, you must obtain a record from the state’s Department of Motor Vehicles.

Medallion Signature

A consular officer cannot perform a Medallion Signature Guarantee (which is a special type of signature acknowledgement sometimes required for the exchange of securities.) For more information, see the Securities and Exchange Commission’s website.



General information on notarial and authentication services of U.S. Consular officers abroad.

To get true copies of U.S. Passports and true copies of non-U.S. Passports, please schedule a notarial appointment.

The fee is 50$ or the equivalent in Euros.

Certified Copy of U.S. Birth Certificate – Vital Records

If the document is a public document issued in the U.S., such as a birth, death, marriage or divorce record, the certified copy needs to be requested from the custodian of records in that state or other jurisdiction.  You may order one from the website of the National Center for Health Statistics.